Applying FAQs

Contact Info

Office of Admissions, 248 Hardway Hall
1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, West Virginia 26554
(855) 297-0999 
(304) 333-3684
FAX (304) 367-4881
TDD (304) 333-3692


If I get accepted, does that mean I automatically get into the program I want?

Not necessarily. Some of our programs are very selective and require special enrollment procedures. Here are some deadlines for our limited enrollment programs:

  • Applications and credentials are accepted for our Medical Laboratory Technology, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiologic Technology, and Respiratory Therapy associate degree programs through January 31.
  • Applications and credentials are accepted for our Veterinary Technology and Health Information Technology associate degree programs through March 1.
  • Applications and credentials are accepted for our Culinary Arts and Pastry & Baking Arts associate degree programs through April 1.

Remember: The application and credentials such as: high school transcript or GED scores, college transcript (if applicable), official ACT or SAT scores and other pertinent information must be on file by the particular deadline for you to receive full consideration.  Late applications will be considered only on a space available basis.


I have not graduated from high school. May I still take classes?

If you haven’t graduated from high school, you may be admitted to Pierpont by passing the General Education Development (GED) Test. You must be a veteran, over 19 years of age or past the age you would have been had you remained in high school until graduation. Also you must be out of school more than one year preceding your application to be eligible.


I’m interested in transferring to a  degree program at Pierpont. What should I do?

If you are a transfer student and want to enter one of our degree programs, here’s how you qualify:

1. Meet the admission requirements of Pierpont.

2. Provide evidence of "good standing" at your last college or university.

3. Show you have maintained a 2.0 or better GPA on all college work previously attempted.

If you are transferring fewer than 15 college hours, please provide an official copy of your high school transcripts,  ACT, SAT or COMPASS test scores, along with an official college transcript. You must also meet admission requirements of the program into which you are transferring.


I’m an international student. How do I apply?

Fairmont State welcomes students from all over the world. For more information on International Admissions, please click here.


What are Pierpont's application deadlines?

For priority registration, make sure all the pieces of your admission file are in and complete six weeks prior to the start of the semester. And double check the requirements of your program, some ask for applications much earlier.


Can I go to Pierpont if I only want to take one class?

Of course. You don’t have to pursue a degree to attend Pierpont.

Admission to Pierpont as a special or nonmatriculant student is open to anyone who has completed fewer than 15 semester hours cumulative at any college or university. Admission as a special student is intended for students registering for occasional college courses with no degree objective. As a special or nonmatriculant student, you may complete a cumulative total of 15 hours college credit.

If you are taking classes as a visiting or transient student from another college or university, you will be admitted as a nonmatriculant student.

If you have already completed a baccalaureate degree from another school, you will be admitted as special or nonmatriculant student when we receive written certification of a degree from the granting institution.


Can I come to Pierpont as a high school student?

If you are an outstanding high school student, you may enroll as a special student in the summer of your junior year or the fall of your senior year in high school. You can take up to 15 credits as a special student. Here are the requirements:

1. Complete the junior year of your high school curriculum;

2. Earn a minimum high school grade point average of 3.0 (B);

3. Submit a written recommendation from the high school principal to Pierpont's Office of Admissions;

4. Send a permission letter from your parent;

5. Submit an application for admission; and

6. Send in ACT or SAT scores and/or high school transcripts.


Can I get Advanced Placement credit at Pierpont?

You bet. As an entering freshman, you will receive Advanced Placement and/or credit if you received a score of three, four or five on one of the tests of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board.


Is advanced standing available at Pierpont?

Based on your high school record and performance on the ACT or SAT, our Registrar will determine your eligibility for advanced standing and credit in English and foreign language as follows:

1. You will receive English credit in English 104 upon presentation of four units of high school English with no semester grade of less than a "B"; standard score of 25 or higher on the English section of the Enhanced ACT; or 610 on the English part of the re-centered SAT.

2. Foreign language students who present one or more units of high school French or Spanish may enroll in French 102 or Spanish 102. Students who present two or more units of high school French or Spanish may enroll in French 201 or Spanish 201.

Pierpont Community & Technical College©
1201 Locust Avenue, Fairmont, WV 26554 Tel: 304-367-4907
Toll Free: 1-855-297-0999 TDD: 304-367-4200
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution   Please read The Fine Print
Emergency Response Guide/Campus Police
Title IX Information; Report Sexual Discrimination, Assault or Misconduct