Tuition Assistance Procedures for Army Reserves and WV National Guard Members
Tuition Assistance (TA) is a tremendous opportunity for Reservists and National Guard members to pay for college courses. TA does not affect your federal financial aid or state grants and can be used along with most VA educational benefits. Please review the procedures for using your respective TA program at our schools and look for links that will direct you to resources you can use to help you understand all of your opportunities.
1. Go to this GoArmyEd link for a guide to establish your GoArmyEd account and enroll in tuition assistance.
2. Once Tuition Assistance is approved by your Army Education Counselor/Reserve ESS, please print out your tuition assistance approval from the GoArmyEd website.
3. Bring the TA approval form(s) to us in Enrollment Services where a deferment for the approved tuition and fees will be placed on your account: You can deliver them in person at the Enrollment Services Center; or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: 304-367-4789; Or Mail: Enrollment Services; Fairmont State University/Pierpont C&TC; 248 Hardway Hall; 1201 Locust Ave.; Fairmont, WV 26554
*Please understand your full benefits allowed under both the VA and the Army Tuition Assistance Programs. The Code of Federal Regulations states active duty service-persons may not receive VA benefits for the same courses for which they receive TA from the military.
The West Virginia National Guard Educational Encouragement Program (WVEEP) may cover up to 100% of the cost of tuition and fees for in-state schools, up to $6,000 annually. For students who have full scholarship under the Promise Scholars Program, WVEEP will pay them the money that would have been paid to the school. Please go to WV National Guard's Benefits and Entitlements website for further information.
1. Click here for the WV Army National Guard tuition assistance application.
2. Return the application to Kathy Kidd by mail or fax 30 days prior to classes starting. Kathy Kidd's contact information is on the application.
3. Kathy Kidd will put you on a roster. She then sends that roster to us confirming that the WVANG will pay approved tuition and fees for the students on that roster.
4. Once we receive your approval with the WVANG, we will put a deferment on your student account for the approved WVANG payment for tuition and fees. We will not place this deferment on your account until we receive confirmation from Kathy Kidd.
5. Any delay in submitting your application to Kathy Kidd, may delay approval and communication between Kathy Kidd and us regarding your tuition and fees. Any questions regarding your tuition assistance, please contact Kathy:
Kathy.email@example.com; COMM: 304-531-6306; COMM FAX: 304-561-6307.
***MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOUR GRADES TO KATHY KIDD AFTER EACH CLASS FOR WHICH YOU RECEIVE TUITION ASSISTANCE FROM WVANG. CONTACT KATHY KIDD WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
If you have further questions regarding your tuition assistance, VA educational benefits, and financial aid, please call us in the Financial Aid office at 304-367-4141 or E-mail: FinancialAid@fairmontstate.edu or FinancialAid@pierpont.edu and ask for a Veterans Certifying Official.