Housing FAQ

Contact Info

Office of Residence Life
Mr. Daniel Gockley, Director
Location: 248 Hardway Hall
Phone: (304) 367-4216
FAX: (304) 367-4789
E-Mail: reslife@pierpont.edu

Mailing Address: 
248 Hardway Hall
1201 Locust Avenue
Fairmont, WV 26554





Getting Ready


How do I apply for housing?

Every student wanting to reside on-campus must complete a housing application and submit the required application deposit. There is a no deposit required for summer school housing, but an application is required. The contract portion of the application, which is for one academic year, must also be signed and dated by the student and a parent or guardian if the student is less than 18 years of age. You can apply online by logging into myCampus, clicking on the housing icon.


Is the deposit refundable?

Yes, the application deposit, paid by each resident when the student submits his or her housing application, is fully refunded after the end of the academic year, less any amount needed to cover any damages that have occurred. Processing of the refund can take up to one month. Deposits are also refunded if you cancel your housing application prior to the cancellation deadline of May 31st for the upcoming fall semester or November 30th for the spring semester.


How do I cancel my housing application?

For a full refund of the room deposit, the Residence Life Department must be notified in writing by May 31st to cancel a reservation for the academic year, and November 30th to cancel a reservation for the spring semester.

Cancellations are only approved for applicants no longer attending Pierpont Community and Technical College or who have received an off-campus exemption. Cancellations are not approved for any students identified as a resident hall student still attending Pierpont.


When do residents move into their assigned hall?

Residence halls open the Thursday before the semester begins for the Fall semester, and Friday before the Spring semester. Students are not able to move into the halls prior to the official opening. Halls typically open in the afternoon of opening day. Specific times and information are provided in your housing packet which residents receive in the mail at the beginning of August.


What about parking permits?

Freshmen are permitted to bring cars to campus. Any resident bringing a vehicle to school is required to obtain a permit. Students can pick up their permit at the beginning of each semester in the Enrollment Services area in 248 Hardway.


What size bedding is needed?

Students must provide their own extra long, twin size plastic mattress cover, pillowcase, and bedspread.

What room items are permitted?

Refrigerators are permitted in individual rooms provided they are no larger than 2.0 cubic feet and are in relatively good condition. (Larger sizes cause electrical difficulties.) Televisions, stereos/radios, clocks, hair dryers/curling irons, iron, and personal computers are also allowed. Electric water heaters and other small food preparation appliances are fire hazards and may be used only in the kitchenettes. Other small appliances are not permitted (i.e., microwave ovens*, toasters, hot plates, coffee pots, etc.) No pets are permitted.

 *Our physical plant has recently approved the use of a MicroFridge unit. This allows students to rent a slightly larger refridgerator as well as a microwave. You can find out more information by clicking here.

Policies & Procedures


Is smoking permitted?

No smoking will be permitted in any areas of the residence halls, including private rooms. Smoking areas outside of the residence halls will be designated. Smokeless tobacco is not permitted in public areas of the residence halls.


What is the alcohol/drug policy?

In compliance with the Higher Education Amendment of 1998, parents or legal guardians of students who are under 21 will be notified in writing if a student is disciplined for disruptive or inappropriate behavior which involved illegal use or possession of alcohol and/or drugs. Alcohol and other drugs are prohibited from all residence halls and apartments.


What happens during vacation periods?

Residence halls are closed during all vacation periods and rooms must be vacated following the last meal served by the Dining Hall. All residents must vacate the halls during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks. This includes all students in practicum/internships and student teachers. Refer to the Residence Life calendar for detailed hall closing and opening information. Break housing is available for students, at an additional costs, who require extended housing. They need to speak with the Residence Life Office or their Residence Director for additional information.


Does one have to re-apply for housing?

Room assignments are for one academic year only–August through May. Students currently living in the residence halls must re-apply with the required deposit for each academic year. All applicants are considered on a first come, first served basis. Current residents are encouraged to apply by January 31st each year for early consideration for housing for the next year.

Current students have the option of rolling their current deposit to the upcoming year. However, if a student uses this option the deposit is no longer available for cover any damages for the current year and will be required to pay and fees on their account.


Pierpont Community & Technical College©
1201 Locust Avenue, Fairmont, WV 26554 Tel: 304-367-4907
Toll Free: 1-855-297-0999 TDD: 304-367-4200
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution   Please read The Fine Print
Emergency Response Guide/Campus Police
Title IX Information; Report Sexual Discrimination, Assault or Misconduct