Pierpont Community & Technical College, an undergraduate institution operating under the authority of the Pierpont Board of Governors, is governed by its president with the aid and advice of its Board of Governors, administrators, Faculty Assembly, Classified Staff Council, and Student Government.
The College offers programs for career/technical education and grants Certificate of Applied Science Degree and the degrees of Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Applied Science after two years of study. Pierpont Community & Technical College considers that its broad objective is to educate its students as intelligent and productive persons, capable of participating in and understanding the world of the twenty-first century. Accordingly, the College seeks to provide a suitable environment for free and responsible inquiry into the nature, sources, and implications of human knowledge and culture; and it challenges students to promote their own intellectual, social, and personal development.
The College faculty serves this objective by guiding students in acquiring knowledge and by maintaining a dialogue with them. The College fully supports the idea of a well-educated society and upholds the academic freedom of its faculty and students, confident that the best interests of the community are served when the search for truth is imaginative and vigorous.
The College follows a liberal policy of student admissions and believes that it can help highly-motivated students to overcome many deficiencies in their academic preparation. Because academic standards are high, the Pierpont Community & Technical College degree represents a level of achievement respected throughout the nation.
Drawing many students from its immediate vicinity, the College welcomes the enthusiastic support it receives from Fairmont and surrounding areas. In return it participates actively in community projects, shares its programs and facilities with the public, and serves the community as a center of information and culture.
Specifically, the mission of Pierpont Community & Technical College is to provide programs needed by those in its geographic service area to the extent permitted by its financial and human resources and its assigned role in the State’s system of public higher education. This mission is accomplished by meeting these objectives:
- Providing a variety of career and technical center/occupational programs of two years duration or less.
- Providing opportunities for occupationally oriented study through expansion of existing industrial technology programs and the development of additional career-related curricula.
- Bringing selected college study opportunities into communities in the College’s service region through the use of the mass media, regional educational centers, external degree programs, and other forms of nontraditional study.
- Encouraging a broad segment of the populace, including various age groups and the economically deprived, to avail themselves of educational opportunities.
- Serving the greatest number of students by holding College costs at the lowest possible level and providing financial support to those who need it to gain equal access to higher education.
- Relating the breadth of the curriculum to the availability of appropriate employment opportunities and the needs of business, industrial, and public service agencies in the College’s service area.
- Offering continuing education programs to provide career updating, cultural enrichment, and personal skill development.
- Providing advisory, counseling, and placement services to enable students to make satisfactory decisions about academic and personal problems and to make successful career and employment choices.
- Offering a variety of cultural, recreational, and social activities to complement academic pursuits.