The Early Childhood Teaching Assistant Advanced Skill Set Certificate is designed for individuals currently employed as a Teacher’s Aide III in a public school setting. Completion of this Skill Set allows promotion to Teacher’s Aide IV.
This 18 credit hour Skill Set builds on the six credit hours required for the Teacher’s Aide Skill Set and provides course work to strengthen the teaching assistant’s effectiveness in the classroom.
- Analyze health and safety practices in the early childhood environment
- Identify and implement appropriate sanitation practices in the early childhood classroom
- Document that all West Virginia Child Care Licensing regulations for center employees are met.
- Recognize appropriate curriculum for a quality early childhood program
- Apply cognitive development theory in work with young children
- Apply classroom guidance techniques in work with young children
The Early Childhood Teaching Assistant Advanced Skill Set will satisfy the West Virginia Department of Education’s qualifications for teacher’s Aide IV and allows current teacher’s aides a pathway for advancement with courses that can also be applied towards the Early Childhood AAS Degree.
Students in this program must pass a background check.
This program alone does not qualify for financial aid. Students seeking financial aid eligible degrees may incorporate the classes as electives when their schedule allows or may declare an Associate or Certificate of Applied Science degree major of study in which the courses are embedded.
*Elective requires Advisor approval.
Substitution may be made for an EC course upon approval by Program Coordinator.
See “Occupational Development” for Early Childhood Practitioner Information.