This program provides students with a variety of educational activities and experiences that will prepare them for mid-level positions in the electric utility industry as line workers or substation workers. This program is selective and will require additional application materials.
Dr. Kari Coffindaffer
Dean; Program Coordinator, EUT
This program is a cooperative program with FirstEnergy, meaning Academic courses are offered through Pierpont and technical courses are offered through FirstEnergy.
Upon graduating from Pierpont, alum Ashley Morris became the first ever female line worker at MonPower.
The job demand for this program is high, providing graduates a chance to find employment immediately upon graduating.
With a degree in one of our Applied Design concentrations, students can begin an exciting career in a variety of fields, including:
- Electric Utility Line Worker
- Electrical Line Supervisor
Median Salary Two Years After Graduation
To see a model schedule for this program, please see our academic catalog.
This program is a selective program and has additional requirements for admission. Successful candidates must complete the following academic and technical standards:
- First-time students must be admitted to Pierpont Community and Technical College. High school transcripts or High School Equivalency Exam documents must be on file with Pierpont by August 1.
- Transfer students must be admitted to Pierpont Community and Technical College and submit official transcripts from other institutions.
- All students must be academically eligible for the college level Math and English. Students may also use COMPASS or ACCUPLACER test results from the past two years or ACT scores from the past five years. Students must score a 76+ on Elementary Algebra, 88+ on English Sentence Skills and a Reading Comprehension score of 79+. Placement testing must be completed by May 1.
- All students must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- All students must successfully pass a background screening for criminal and driving records conducted by FirstEnergy.
- All students must successfully pass a physical capabilities test administered by FirstEnergy.
- All students must pass a Department of Transportation CDL physical and provide a copy of the Medical Examiners Certificate to FirstEnergy.
- All students must meet all hands-on training requirements as part of FirstEnergy’s selection process.
- All students must complete an interview with FirstEnergy.
- This program does not support part-time attendance.
- Note: Students who have scored at Level 3 or higher on the State of WV ELA and Math tests their junior year of high school may enroll in traditional 3-credit classes regardless of their ACT scores.