Pierpont Community & Technical College is now using NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER as its test to determine whether students with no or low or outdated ACT or SAT scores are eligible for traditional 3-credit courses in ENGL and MTH or if they are required to take extended credit courses or additional co-requisite support classes.If you have not attended and passed a college level Math/English course and do not have ACT/SAT scores for consideration, you will need to take the NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER exam at the Advanced Technology Center (ATC).
Note: Students who have scored at Level 3 or higher on the State of WV ELA and Math tests their junior year of high school may enroll in traditional 3-credit classes regardless of their ACT scores.
The exam may be taken one section at a time. Students who need to test in all three areas may do so in the same appointment and should schedule at least three hours.
Exams will be scheduled in two separate sessions every Monday and one session on the fourth Friday of each month. The testing availability will be from Nov 26, 2018 - March 15, 2019. Additional sections will not be open after the March 15th date.
Are Students Required to take Placement Tests?
- NO. Any student with low or no scores is permitted to enroll in the extended credit hour versions of MTH and ENGL without taking the NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER.
- Students may also use ACT scores from the past five years.
How to Schedule a Test - Electrical Utility Tech (Power Systems Institute) Students Only
- Schedule early as seats will fill soon.
- Go to www.pierpont.edu/ce and create a student profile.
- In the upper right hand corner in the “search for a class” box - type - NEXT GENERATION Accuplacer
- Choose your date and process through the end of the “transaction” There is no cost for this exam.
- Dates will be populated one month at a time to eliminate confusion.
- Testing location is the Advanced Technology Center (ATC) located at 500 Galliher Dr. Fairmont, WV
Where Can Students Take the Test?
- Fairmont campus, 248 Hardway Hall, M-F; walk-in hours 10am-3pm
- Caperton Center, Clarksburg, by appointment: 304-367-4030
- Lewis Co. site, Weston, by appointment: 304-368-7257
- Braxton by appointment
- PSI Applicants will test at the Advanced Technology Center by appointment: 304-368-7254
What do Students Need to Bring to Test Site?
- Students must bring a photo ID. Nothing else is permitted in the testing room. All scrap paper and pencils are provided, and a calculator is built in to the exam; no outside aids permitted. You will be asked to leave your phone at the front desk and your friends and family in the waiting area.
What Next Generation ACCUPLACER Scores Qualify a Student for a 3-credit MTH and ENGL 1104?
- A 250+ on the QAS (math) test
- A 250+ on the English test
- Also, a Reading score of 252+ is required of Electrical Utility Tech majors
How Can Students Prepare for the NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER?
- Students may also visit www.khanacademy.org to review individual content areas.
How Many Times Can a Student Test?
- Testing policy allows students to test up to two times each semester (Fall; Spring; Summer 1 and Summer 2 are each considered a “semester.”)
- Students are encouraged to wait at least a week before re-testing in order to review.
- EUT applicants may test up to three(3) times
If your most recent test scores exempt you from the NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER test, then be sure to have official results mailed to us as soon as possible:
Pierpont Community & Technical College
Attn: Enrollment Services
1201 Locust Ave.
Fairmont, WV 26554
Should a PSI Student need assistance or need to cancel your testing time please contact us at email@example.com 304-534-7882.
Everyone else direct all questions to: