Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for housing?

Every student wanting to reside on-campus must complete a housing application and submit the required damage deposit. There is a no deposit required for summer housing, but an application is required. The contract portion of the application, which is for one academic year, must also be signed and dated by the student and a parent or guardian if the student is under 18 years of age. You can apply online by logging into Pierpont Portal, clicking on the housing icon.

Who must live on campus?

Traditionally aged students, attending at least one class on the main campus, are required to live on campus for 4 semesters, unless they apply for and receive an exemption from the Office of Residence Life.
Students can apply for exemption status if:
  • You are legally married and are living with your partner. Include a copy of your marriage license.
  • You are a single parent.  Include a copy of your child's birth certificate.
  • You have documented medical circumstances that cannot be accommodated on campus. Include a letter from your physician on office letterhead.
  • You are a commuter student who lives within a driving distance of 50-miles of the Fairmont campus, and are living in the home of a parent or legal guardian. Included a letter from parent or guardian with a full permanent address.
  • You are twenty-one years of age or older. Include a copy of driver's license or birth certificate to verify age.
How to apply for exemption:
If one of these categories applies to you, and you would like to apply for exemption status, please follow the exemption application steps outlined below!
To apply for exemption:
On the left click Housing Forms, under miscellaneous forms On Campus Exemption Form, print the document and provide the required documentation.  If no documentation accompanies your exemption request we will not be able to approve the request.
If you have questions or you have a special circumstance not outlined above , please call the Residence Life office at (304) 367-4216 Call: (304) 367-4216, or visit our office located in 303 Turley Student Services Center.

How do I cancel my housing application?

For a full refund of the damage deposit, the Office of Residence Life must be notified in writing by May 31st to cancel a reservation for the academic year, and November 30th to cancel a reservation for the spring semester.
Cancellations are only approved for applicants no longer attending Fairmont State. Cancellations are not approved for any students identified as a residence hall student still attending Fairmont State.

Is the deposit refundable?

Yes, the deposit, paid by each resident upon the submission of the housing application, is fully refundable after the end of the academic year; if you are not returning to housing for the next semester, (cancellations must be in writing by the deadline specified in your lease agreement) less any amount needed to cover any damages that have occurred or any institutional student account balance. Deposits are also refunded if you cancel your housing application prior to the cancellation deadline of May 31st for the upcoming fall semester or November 30th for the spring semester. Processing of the refund can take up to one month. If you are returning to housing for the next academic year your deposit will roll over; however, you will be responsible for any damages charges.

When do residents move into their assigned hall?

All incoming freshmen students are permitted to move-in the Friday before each semester begins. Move-in information will be communicated to you through mail from the Office of Recruitment and Retention.

What about parking permits?

Freshmen are permitted to bring cars to campus. Any resident bringing a vehicle to school is required to obtain a permit. Students can pick up their permit at the beginning of each semester in the Enrollment Services area in the Turley Student Services Center.

What size bedding is needed?

Students must provide their own extra long twin size plastic mattress cover, sheets, pillowcase, and bedspread.

What room items are permitted?

What to Bring:
  • Alarm clock
  • Rainwear and umbrella
  • Room decorations
  • Bathrobe, shower shoes, shower caddy, towels, and washcloths
  • Prescribed medications
  • Two sets of linens (mattresses are 36” x 80” or ‘XL Twin’), blankets and pillow
  • Headphones or Earbuds
  • Surge Protectors
  • School supplies and a backpack
What you May Want to Bring:
  • Mini Refrigerator (Maximum Size is 4.2 Cubic Feet) Students may rent a micro-fridge for their room by going to: The fridge will be delivered to his/her room prior to move-in day.
  • Computer
  • Coffee mugs and plastic cups
  • Extra lamp and stackable crates
  • Portable audio devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad)
  • Keurig or any single cup coffee brewer.
  • Overnight bag for weekend trips
  • Moving cart/dolly to make move-in easier
  • Television
  • Clothing hangers
Items Not Permitted
For health and safety reasons the following items are not permitted in student rooms.  Failure to comply with these restrictions will result in the item being confiscated and will be considered a student conduct/disciplinary matter.
  • Free weights over 20 lbs (All weights less than 20lbs must be housed on a mat)
  • Electric devices such as a hot plate, toasters, ovens, popcorn popper, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, electric grills, portable heaters, sandwich makers, crock pots, etc.[1]
  • Alcohol, drugs, alcohol or drug paraphernalia, empty alcohol containers
  • Microwaves (unless you have rented a Micro-Fridge Unit through our contract)
  • Any open-flame object (e.g., candles or incense) and candle warmers
  • Drums, amplification equipment for stereos, electric guitars, etc.
  • Weapons or Fireworks (see policy)
  • Gasoline, lighter fluid, charcoal grills, or any combustible, explosive, or flammable material
  • Pets of any kind, except for a fish in tank (no more than 10 gallons)
  • Supplies used to stack or loft beds
  • Paintball, BB, or pellet guns
  • Wireless routers (routers are permitted if the wireless feature is disabled)
  • Extension cords or multi-receptacle outlets
  • Motor bikes, Segways, etc.
  • Decorations attached to light fixtures, sprinklers, smoke detectors, etc.
  • Any item hung outside the window.
  • Christmas lights
This list is not comprehensive.  The Office of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to ask students to remove items that are considered unsafe or disruptive to the community.

What is the tobacco/smoking policy?

The Fairmont State University/Pierpont Community & Technical College campus is tobacco and smoke-free. Tobacco related products according to the Board Policy #60 is considered to be the following: Cigarettes, e-cigs, chewing tobacco, dip, pipes, cigars, cigarillos, hookah, water pipe smoking, snus, and snuff. No smoking or use of any tobacco is permitted in any area of the residential facility, including residents' rooms. All use of tobacco or any related product listed above must be done away from campus.

What is the alcohol/drug policy?

Alcohol Possession/Use
Use, possession, manufacturing, or distribution of alcoholic beverages or public intoxication is prohibited in the residence halls and on campus Alcoholic beverages may not, in any circumstances, be used by, possessed by or distributed to any person in the residence halls. Students are not permitted to come back to the residence halls overly intoxicated.
Alcohol Paraphernalia
This includes empty alcohol containers, alcohol containers used as decoration, beer pong tables, shot glasses, public posters containing alcohol endorsements (i.e. your room door), and empty alcohol boxes.
Drug Possession/Use
Use, possession, or distribution of any drug is strictly prohibited. Students may not enter the residential facilities in an intoxicated manner. Students who are alleged to distribute any drug or narcotic will face University/College sanctions.
Drug Paraphernalia
Students may not possess any type of drug paraphernalia. This may include any of the following: rolling papers, baggies, scales, grinders, bongs, or home-made bongs. This list is not inclusive.

What happens during vacation periods?

Residence halls are closed during all vacation periods and rooms must be vacated following the last meal served by the Dining Hall. All residents must vacate the halls during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks. This includes all students in practicum/internships and student teachers. Refer to the Residence Life calendar for detailed hall closing and opening information. Break housing is available for students, at an additional costs, who require extended housing. They need to speak with the Residence Life Office or their Residence Director for additional information.

Does one have to re-apply for housing?

Room assignments are for one academic year only–August through May. Students currently living in the residence halls must re-apply for each academic year. All applicants are considered on a first come, first served basis. Current residents are encouraged to apply as early as possible each year for early consideration for housing for the next year.