Dual Credit Courses

We are excited that your students are taking dual credit courses with

Pierpont Community & Technical College! 

We believe that taking college classes in high school can provide knowledge and skills that can benefit a person throughout their entire life.  

It also prepares them with class credits and experience to jump-start a college career.   

When a student is registered with our office for dual credit courses during high school,

they are automatically registered with us for college!

It is important to us that your students succeed in our college classes.  To help their success, our office is available to facilitate the provision of disability accommodations for those students with documented physical and mental disabilities.  Since the dual credit classes are college classes and your students are enrolled with us as Pierpont students, to receive accommodations in their classes they must be registered through our office. 

As students of Pierpont, your students also receive benefits such as

access to our library and free tutoring.

In college, students are expected to self-advocate to receive accommodations for their disabilities.  We realize that this is not something that many students know how to do.  So, we help them with this, and we encourage the participation of their high schools when appropriate and when the student is in agreement with that.  We make the process as easy as we can.  Please see the Steps below. 


STEP 1:  To provide accommodations, we need to have documentation of a student’s disability(ies).

You can help your student with this.  An IEP tells us what accommodations are currently afforded to the student, but it frequently does not tell us what specific diagnosis the student has (e.g., learning disability – reading, muscular dystrophy, autism spectrum disorder).  We need current (within 3 years for many disorders) official documentation listing a diagnosis.  This documentation can be a psychological evaluation, an evaluation from WV Department of Rehabilitation Services, a letter from a family physician or mental health provider, or other documentation.  Frequently the student’s school file already contains this information. For more information about who can provide documentation and what is needed, please refer to Appendix B – Documentation of Disability & Eligibility in the link below:



STEP 2:  The student needs to make an appointment with our office for an intake.

Since colleges are under a different law (Americans with Disabilities Act - ADA) than K-12 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - IDEA), the ways to access accommodations are different.  In K-12, the schools are mandated to find and provide testing for a student, and then create an educational plan.  In college, a student has the right not to identify themselves as disabled.  So, to receive accommodations for college classes, a student must self-identify to our office.  The student can call our office for information.  As to the intake appointment, we have several ways to do this.  The student can come to our office on the Fairmont main campus.  We also can use a telehealth appointment, where the student can meet with our counselor using an online video meeting venue such as Google Hangouts.  The meeting usually takes 1 ½ hours; and a parent, guardian, or school counselor is welcome to attend the meeting if the student wants that.  If a video conference is requested, we will need to have verification of the student’s identity by a school official prior to meeting with the student.    


Step 3: The student must complete the scheduled intake with our office

Just letting us know that they are taking classes is not enough.  The student must complete an intake and receive an Accommodation Letter listing their accommodations.  It is then the student’s responsibility to provide the instructor with a copy of the Accommodation Letter.  Due to the differences between the ADA and IDEA laws, the student may not receive all of the accommodations that they have been getting for high school classes.  This will be discussed with the student during the intake.  If you have any questions about accommodations, please contact our office.  We will be happy to answer any questions that you have.  


Step 4: The student meets 1-on-1 with her/his instructor

In college, it is the student’s responsibility to take their accommodation letter to their instructor, and sit down privately to discuss how the accommodations will be given in each class.  Both the student and the instructor sign the letter, verifying that they met and discussed the accommodations.  This also is true for students taking dual credit classes.  If the class takes place at your high school site, you continue to provide the accommodations given to the student by our office.  If the classes are on our sites (e.g., Caperton Center, MTEC), providing the accommodations are our responsibility.  We are excited and ready to work with you.  Contact us, and we can discuss the accommodations given to your student.   


Step 5: The student brings the signed Accommodation Letter back to our office

To complete the “circle” of communication, the students are asked to return the signed letters to our office.  We scan the letters and attach them to the student’s file.  This is to document that the instructor and the student discussed the accommodations and how the accommodations will be given in the particular class.  The student or the high school office can scan and email the letters to us at  


Step 6: The student maintains communication with our office

We care about our students, and we want to ensure that their needs are met. In addition, our office provides support services beyond providing accommodations.  Some of our services include time management and organizational skills training and working with test anxiety.  Students of dual credit courses also have access to these support services.

For more information, visit the the Office of Counseling & Disability Services in person, or contact us using the information below.
Contact Information
231-A Hardway Hall
Phone: (304) 534-7878
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm - Monday through Friday
Suzan Walsh Clemens, PhD
Director - Support Services
504 Coordinator for Students
Licensed Psychologist/Disability Services Coordinator
231-A Hardway Hall
Phone: (304) 367-4073