When it comes to studying, we all need an extra push sometimes to get us motivated. Fortunately, Pierpont offers tutoring to all full-time and part-time students. And the best part? It’s free! Peer tutoring is also available on a "drop-in" basis to students through the Tutorial Services Center located at the Locust Avenue campus. Each semester, peer tutoring is available for most general required courses and for a variety of other courses. Students with documented disabilities may be eligible for additional support services. We encourage students to request tutoring for extra academic support — especially if they are in danger of failing a class. For tutoring hours, check the Professional Tutoring and Peer Tutoring Schedules located below or call (304) 333-3769.
Tutoring at the Advanced Technology Study Den:
Tutoring is available at the ATC Study Den for math and physics. More subjects are soon to come.
Pierpont will soon be offering free tutoring through two online services (Tutor.com and Brainfuse).
(click for schedules)
Students in good academic standing who would like to serve as paid peer tutors must complete an application, take a free, one-hour tutor training practicum online course, complete other required training, and meet established criteria and standards to qualify as a tutor. The Peer Tutorial Services program is certified by the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA).
(click for schedules)
Professional tutors for Mathematics offer tutoring for all math courses and math-related topics including study procedures, problem solving strategies, and overcoming math anxiety. Professional tutors for writing across the curriculum offer help with all writing assignments including essays, research papers, technical documents, and literary analysis. The services of the Math/Writing Center are free and available on a “drop-in” basis for full-time and part-time Pierpont students at the Locust Avenue campus (207 Jaynes Hall).
Code of Ethics
...from Put the Pencil Down by Marcia Toms
1. Philosophy: Tutors will act in the best interest of their students.
2. Responsibility: Tutors will take responsibility for their own behavior.
3. Integrity: Tutors will follow the Academic Integrity and Academic Dishonesty Policies for our institutions.
4. Respect: Tutors will respect individual differences and will respect cultural, individual, and role differences.
5. Excellence: Tutors will strive for excellence by continuing to improve their skills.
6. Professionalism: Tutors will remember that they are role models and will conduct themselves in an appropriate manner.