When it comes to studying, we all need an extra push sometimes to get us motivated. Fortunately, Pierpont offers tutoring to all full-time and part-time students. And the best part? It’s free! Peer tutoring is also available on a "drop-in" basis to students through the Tutorial Services Center located at the Locust Avenue campus. Each semester, peer tutoring is available for most general required courses and for a variety of other courses. The center has individual tutoring areas equipped with dry erase boards, desks, and computers. Students with documented disabilities may be eligible for additional support services. We encourage students to request tutoring for extra academic support — especially if they are in danger of failing a class. For tutoring hours, check the Peer Tutoring Schedule located below or call (304) 367-4081
Free tutoring to ALL students is available in the following areas:
- Chemistry I
- Computer Concepts
- Writing across disciplines
- Written English I & II
- Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics
- Technical Mathematics (Math for Industry) - incl. trigonometry
- Math Support Classes
- Accounting I & 2
- Anatomy and Physiology
Tutoring at the Advanced Technology Study Den:
Tutoring is available at the ATC Study Den for math, physics, anatomy and physiology and Blackboard support.
- Monday 3 pm – 5 pm - Robyn Mullen – Math and Blackboard Support
- Tuesday 1:30-3:30 – Patrick Meinster - Math, Physics, Chemistry 1, and Blackboard support
- Tuesday and Thursday 1 pm-4 pm – Tim Pracht – Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, science, math, and Blackboard support
Brainfuse is an online tutoring service available for free to all currently enrolled students.
To access Brainfuse, go to your Blackboard account via your Pierpont Portal account. Once you enter Blackboard, select “Brainfuse HelpNow” under the Tools Section.
(click for schedules)
Students in good academic standing (sophomores, juniors, seniors) who would like to serve as paid peer tutors must complete an application, take a free, one-hour tutor training practicum online course, complete other required training, and meet established criteria and standards to qualify as a tutor. The Peer Tutorial Services program is certified by the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA).
(click for schedules)
Professional tutors for Mathematics offer tutoring for all math courses and math-related topics including study procedures, problem solving strategies, and overcoming math anxiety. Professional tutors for writing across the curriculum offer help with all writing assignments including essays, research papers, technical documents, and literary analysis. The services of the Math/Writing Center are free and available on a “drop-in” basis for full-time and part-time Pierpont students at the Locust Avenue campus (2nd Level Musick Library)
Brainfuse is an online tutoring service available for free to all currently enrolled students. To access Brainfuse, go to your Blackboard account via your Pierpont Portal account. Once you enter Blackboard, select “Brainfuse HelpNow” under the Tools Section.
Caperton Center - Check out Brainfuse online tutoring
Advanced Technology Center - In the Student Study Den 2nd floor
Free math/physics tutoring is now available. Caleb Aites will tutor Thursday from noon 3 pm in the Study Den.
Lewis County Check out Brainfuse online tutoring
Code of Ethics
...from Put the Pencil Down by Marcia Toms
1. Philosophy: Tutors will act in the best interest of their students.
2. Responsibility: Tutors will take responsibility for their own behavior.
3. Integrity: Tutors will follow the Academic Integrity and Academic Dishonesty Policies for our institutions.
Academic Integrity and Academic Dishonesty Policy (Fairmont State)
4. Respect: Tutors will respect individual differences and will respect cultural, individual, and role differences.
5. Excellence: Tutors will strive for excellence by continuing to improve their skills.
6. Professionalism: Tutors will remember that they are role models and will conduct themselves in an appropriate manner.
Director of Tutorial Services
School of Academic Studies, 2nd Level Library
P: (304) 367-4081