Catherine Gorman
Record Specialist/Veteran Coordinator
Phone: 304-367-4298

Understanding and Using Your Benefits

The transition from deciding to attend our school and starting on the first day of class can be overwhelming. But never fear. The information on this page will help you throughout the process. If you have further questions, please review the contact information in each step or contact one of our Veteran Certifying Officials in Financial Aid at (304) 368-7258.


  • Visit the VA’s Road Map For Success site and let it guide you in your benefit decision.
    • Make sure you are fully aware of each benefit option you are eligible for. Remember that a lower percentage of Chapter 33 eligibility might not pay as much as Chapter 30 or Chapter 1607 coupled with tuition assistance from the National Guard or Army Reserves.
    • Take the time to understand exactly what your school experience will cost.
    • Determine how long it will take to complete your desired major and compare that to your entitled money and length of eligibility under each VA benefit.
    • If you have further questions regarding your benefits or eligibility, please call the VA at (888) 442-4551
    • Dependents and Spouses use Transfer Chapter 33 benefits or Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Assistance information.

Post 9/11 Ch 33
MGIB–SR Ch 1606
REAP Ch 1607
Vocational Rehab Ch 31

  • Apply for your VA Benefits on VONAPP. If you have questions about your VA benefits and the application process, please call the VA at (888) 442-4551 or (800) 827-1000.
  • Apply to Pierpont Community & Technical College. The Admission Office’s website at Pierpont has all the information you will need to get through the application process. If you have any questions about high school transcripts, ACCUPLACER testing, submitting your ACT/SAT scores, credits for military training or classes, orientation or general application questions, please call the admissions office at (304) 367-4892 or (800) 641-5678 or email them at
  • Get your military transcript sent to our Admissions office – Army, Navy or Marines, Air Force
  • Financial Aid and Scholarships
    • Fill out your FAFSA!
      • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines your eligibility for grant and loan aid through the Department of Education.
      • Grant money does not affect your VA benefits. This money may be substantial and you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY IT BACK!
      • There is no deadline to receive Federal Pell Grant money. But it is important you submit your FAFSA as soon as possible (applications available January 1st for the next academic year) to be eligible for as many grants as possible.
      • Please put the Pierpont C&TC code (040385) on your FAFSA.
      • You will fill out a FAFSA for every academic year.
    • Check out these sites for scholarships
      • Military personnel and their families
      • Scholarships through our Foundation
      • Scholarships through our Admissions Office
  • We will contact you.
    • Admissions will contact you about your application status and provide you with information about Orientation. Orientation is a campus day where you will tour the campus, meet with an advisor, register for classes, and get your parking pass.
    • Financial Aid will contact you regarding your FAFSA and your award eligibility.
    • All chapters must complete one EVERY SEMESTER.
    • Once we have your green card, we will certify your enrollment at Pierpont with the VA. That is how your money will get disbursed from the VA.
    • If you fail to submit a green card each semester, we cannot certify you with the VA and, therefore, no money will come from the VA.
  • Forms to submit to Catherine Gorman, Record Specialist/Veteran Coordinator.
    • Chapter 33 – Certificate of Eligibility (the VA will mail this to you once they process your application for benefits. This could take 6-10 weeks) or a copy of your DD214 if separated until your Certificate of Eligibility arrives.
    • Chapter 33 transferred – Approval form from the Dept. of Defense stating how many months of eligibility the service-member has transferred to you.
    • Chapter 30 – copy of DD214 if separated
    • Chapter 35 – Copy of Parent or Spouse’s DD214
    • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation students – We cannot certify you with the VA until your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor sends us an approval form for your enrollment at Pierpont. If you have any questions regarding your case, use the contact information above.
  • WAVE – Each month the VA requires students receiving Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefits to verify their enrollment and program of study through the VA WAVES system. Students may verify enrollment by phone at (877) 823-2378 or online using the WAVE portion of the VA website.

Using your VA benefits as a transfer student

If you used your benefits at a different school and now plan on enrolling at Pierpont Community & Technical College, please submit VA form 22-1995 to the VA (Chapter 35 submits VA form 22-5495 not 22-1995). You can go to the VA website and submit this form electronically.

Make sure you provide our admissions office with a certified copy of your transcript from your former college.

If you are transferring in the middle of the school year, please go into your FAFSA on the web for the current academic year and add our school code (040385). We cannot provide financial aid to you until our school codes are added to your FAFSA and your information transfers to us.