You've Got Questions...


Your college journey will be filled with questions, ranging from your program selection, the admissions process, and so much more. Check out our frequently asked questions below. If you can’t find your answer, please contact Pierpont at 304-367-4907.

Jump to a section below:

Considering Pierpont

Check out a list of all the programs Pierpont has to offer!

Academic Programs

Pierpont has a comprehensive net price calculator that can help you determine how much your education may cost.

Use our Net Price Calculator


To see all of Pierpont’s Veteran Services, check this out:

See Veteran Services



 See our online application. Here, you will find an admissions checklist and a link to an online application.

You can apply for admission at any time! Pay close attention to your specific programs of interest; some programs have strict application deadlines.

Typically, Pierpont does not begin processing applications more than one year prior to the beginning of the desired term.

There is no application fee for admission to Pierpont Community and Technical College, but if you are applying to one of our selective programs, there may be a program-specific application fee.

Requirements for homeschooled students are the same as the requirements for traditional high school students. Your transcript may come in the form of written correspondence from your home school teacher.

Typically applications are processed within two weeks and you will be notified via mail.

Your acceptance letter will be mailed to you within a few days of your application being processed. If you applied more than 30 days ago, feel free to reach out to Student Services at 304-367-4907 to inquire about your application status.

Full time students take a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and typically finish their degrees much faster than part-time students. Pierpont highly suggests taking a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester to finish your degree on time.

Typically, this means that we still need some required information or documentation from you, such as a transcript or immunization record, but you may be provisionally allowed to enroll in courses provided there is space available.

West Virginia Invests is a state-funded grant program that covers the full cost of basic tuition and fees for select certificate and associate degree programs at a West Virginia public two- or four-year institution. Priority is given to programs in high-demand fields, such as information technology or healthcare, as determined by the West Virginia Department of Commerce. This is a last-dollar-in program, meaning that it will pay for any amount up to the total cost of tuition and fees that isn’t already covered by other state or federal grants or scholarships. Certain programs charge additional fees to cover equipment and supply costs and other necessary expenses. These fees, along with the cost of textbooks and other course materials, must be paid by the student if other forms of financial aid are not available to offset these costs.

Pierpont does not require you to submit standardized test scores for admissions.

However, some selective programs do require standardized test scores such as the SAT. If you have taken the standardized test, this may be beneficial for your place in English or Math courses.

Documents can be sent to or

Pierpont Student Services
500 Galliher Drive
Fairmont, WV 26554



There are a variety of ways we can meet with you. Schedule a 1:1 appointment or pick a larger group visit day.

We can’t wait to meet you! 

Visit Pierpont

Start your online application at Pierpont or you can request a paper application that you can download, print and mail to Pierpont (Reach out to for a paper application).

Please note that some selective programs will only consider electronic applicants. If you need a device to complete an application, we have some at Pierpont.

Pierpont is an open enrollment institution. This means that anyone who is a wants to attend courses can. If you don’t have a high school degree or alternative and want to enroll in a degree seeking program, there may be additional steps for you.

There are some programs that have selective admissions; this means there are program specific requirements and additional application materials.

Pierpont begins to accept applications approximately one year before a term begins and selective programs typically open Oct. 1st for programs beginning in the fall.

Throughout the year applications are taken as received. See the registrar calendar for deadlines.

Selective programs have deadlines as well; see the selective program page.

No, Pierpont does not require a standardized test. However, some selective programs may have standardized test requirements. Standardize test scores assist with placement of math and English courses. There are some sections with built-in support if you don’t have a standardized test score or if the score didn’t meet the no-support requirements.

Yes, if you have a standardized test, please send the scores to Pierpont. Standardized test scores assist with placement of math and English courses. There are some sections with built in support if you don’t have a standardized test score or if the score didn’t meet the no-support requirements.

Yes, you can attend Pierpont as a guest student also known as a transient student. Apply to Pierpont and select transient student. To ensure enrollment, work with your home institution to complete a transient student form. If you are seeking financial aid, work with your home institution to complete and submit to Pierpont’s financial aid the transient financial aid paperwork.

Yes! Pierpont offers a few degree programs that are 100% attainable online.

Associate Degree programs:

  • Paralegal Studies
  • American Sign Language/Interpreter Education
  • Health Information Technology
  • Business: Accounting

Certificate Degree program:

  • Medical Billing & Coding

Pierpont knows that choosing where you live is important. That’s why there is no housing requirement. You get to live where you want! If you want to live near campus, we typically have a housing fair event in the spring semester. We recommend using websites online to help you find an apartment such as:

Admitted Students

In your admissions letter, you should have received directions to go to and follow the first-type user steps along with your username. If for some reason you didn’t or you can’t find your username, call us at 304-333-3684 and we will walk through it with you.

After you receive your acceptance letter, you will then file for FAFSA, schedule an advising appointment with one of Pierpont’s advisors and finally attend orientation.

Yes, please send your official transcripts to Pierpont. You can take classes for one semester without your official transcripts on file.

Go to and click on “First Time User.” From there, you’ll enter your username and create a password. Once completed, you will have access to your email, ROAR account, and Blackboard account.

We highly recommend you work with an advisor to create an appointment; you can email and they’ll be able to set-up an appointment with you.

Parking passes are issued from the main desk at the Advanced Technology Center. You will need to complete a parking pass request form, and then you will be issued a parking pass. Remember to bring your driver’s license, the number from your car’s license plate, and know the make & model of your vehicle. These numbers are required on the form before your pass will be issued.

Students requesting residency reclassification must submit the application complete with two personal statements and all documentation to the Registrar. Download the residency reclassification application.

If you’ve already been accepted and want to change your major, you’ll need to complete a change of major form. For the majority of programs at Pierpont that’s all you need to fill out; there are a few programs that are selective and would need a different application and materials.

The first thing to do is to get an FSA ID. Both the student (aid applicant) and one parent (if the student is dependent) should get an FSA ID and keep it in a safe place. This ID will be used for several financial aid processes, including your renewal application next year. To set up your FSA ID, visit the website.

After obtaining your FSA ID(s), the next step in the financial aid application process is the submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (also known as the FAFSA). This process can be completed quickly and easily on the United States Department of Education’s website at: The information that you provide on this application will allow the Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility for various grants, programs, scholarships, and loans. Be sure to list Pierpont’s code (040385) as your school choice when completing the form, as this will send your eligibility results directly to our Financial Aid Office.

TIP: Pierpont offers FAFSA workshops throughout the semester. To see the current list of workshop dates & Pierpont’s financial aid will work with you individual. Feel free to call 304-367-4907 or email

2nd Tip: If you’re a WV resident, look into the WV Invests Grant (link to WVInvests webpage) and consider applying for it. The WV Invests Grant is a last-dollar in grant that some individuals call the free community college grant. This grant can help you leave Pierpont debt free or very close to it. Details about the grant and its application can be found at

Upon review of your completed financial aid applications and any other necessary documents, the Financial Aid Office will prepare a “package” of various aid programs for you based upon your eligibility. The package may contain a combination of grants, work programs, scholarships, and loans. The award package will be sent to you in the form of an “Award Letter”. The time it takes to receive your letter depends on how long it takes your school to prepare your “package.” To expedite your award letter, be sure to complete your FAFSA as early as possible. Financial aid “packages” can take as long as eight weeks to complete.